KLRD staff members coordinate and help plan interim committee meetings and certain commissions and task forces that meet throughout the year.
During the regular legislative session, standing committees are coordinated and planned by committee assistants, who should be contacted through the office of the standing committee's chairperson.
Standing Committees are established by statute or by House or Senate Leadership that meet during the regular legislative session.
Interim Committees are either established by statute and meet outside the regular legislative session (e.g. joint committees, oversight committees, commissions, and task forces) or are created by Legislative Coordinating Council to review specified topics and legislation during the Interim.
2017 LEGISLATIVE BUDGET COMMITTEE
Agenda Minutes Report
Sen. Carolyn McGinn, Vice-chairperson
Sen. Rick Billinger
Sen. Laura Kelly
Rep. Troy Waymaster,Chairperson
Rep. Kathy Wolfe Moore, Ranking Minority Member
Rep. Erin Davis
Rep. Steven Johnson
Kansas Legislative Research Dept.
Office of Revisor of Statutes
Kathy Holscher, Committee Assistant
State Budget Issues
The Legislative Budget Committee is statutorily directed to:
- Compile fiscal information, study and make recommendations on the state budget, revenues, and expenditures, the organization and functions of the state, its departments, subdivisions, and agencies with a view of reducing the cost of state government and increasing efficiency and economy.
In addition to the statutory duties, the Budget Committee is to:
- Review changes to the approved budget for state agencies that will be submitted
this interim including the new Performance Based Budgeting System;
- Review State General Fund receipts and the impact of statutory changes to be implemented in July;
- Review the implementation of the new School Finance Formula;
- Review the financial, possible procedural changes and Centers for Medicare (CMS) licensing for the Osawatomie State Mental Health Hospital and Larned State Mental Health Hospital, along with the use of other facilities on the Larned campus;
- Review the implementation of the new State Employee Health Clinic;
- Review KPERS working after retirement and unfunded actuarial liability;
- Review the use of bonds in the Kansas Department of Transportation;
- Review the need for, funding of, and source for cybersecurity;
- Review possible construction and other changes to the Lansing Correctional facility; and
- Review funding and the impact of the recent wildfires in Kansas.
Approved Meeting Days: 7 days
Statutory Joint Committees
Other Task Forces, Commissions, Committees
2017 Interim Information
Approved Topics Memo
Approved Days Listing
Interim Committee Membership
Committee Reports to the 2018 Legislature
Committee Reports to the 2018 Legislature-Supplement