KLRD staff members coordinate and help plan interim committee meetings and certain commissions and task forces that meet throughout the year.
During the regular legislative session, standing committees are coordinated and planned by committee assistants, who should be contacted through the office of the standing committee's chairperson.
Standing Committees are established by statute or by House or Senate Leadership that meet during the regular legislative session.
Interim Committees are either established by statute and meet outside the regular legislative session (e.g. joint committees, oversight committees, commissions, and task forces) or are created by Legislative Coordinating Council to review specified topics and legislation during the Interim.
Role of KLRD - Committees During the Interim
In addition to the services described above, KLRD provides ongoing administrative support to joint committees, special committees, and task forces, which meet primarily during the Legislative Interim. KLRD assigns an appropriate number and mix of research and fiscal analysts to these committees, depending on the committee's charge. Responsibilities may vary for some committees, however, in general, KLRD analysts:
- Work with chairpersons to schedule meeting dates, which may include polling committee members regarding their availability on proposed dates;
- Reserve a room for each meeting;
- Make arrangements for a committee assistant, who are present on meeting days and responsible for preparing minutes;
- Ensure that public notice requirements for scheduled meetings are met;
- Develop and publish an agenda for each meeting that reflects the chairperson's input;
- Identify and schedule individuals to provide informational presentations and testimony for each agenda item, reflecting the chairperson's input;
- Collect testimony from conferees and assist with computer, audio, and video equipment if needed;
- Respond to questions from committee members;
- Gather and present information upon request of the committee or one of its members;
- Provide fiscal analysis as requested;
- Edit the draft minutes and provide to committee members for approval; and
- Prepare a draft report of the committee's activities and recommendations for submission to the full Legislature and provide the draft report to members for approval before publication.
Statutory Joint Committees
Other Task Forces, Commissions, Committees
2017 Interim Information
Approved Topics Memo
Approved Days Listing
Interim Committee Membership
Committee Reports to the 2018 Legislature
Committee Reports to the 2018 Legislature-Supplement