KLRD staff members coordinate and help plan interim committee meetings and certain commissions and task forces that meet throughout the year.
During the regular legislative session, standing committees are coordinated and planned by committee assistants, who should be contacted through the office of the standing committee's chairperson.
Standing Committees are established by statute or by House or Senate Leadership that meet during the regular legislative session.
Interim Committees are either established by statute and meet outside the regular legislative session (e.g. joint committees, oversight committees, commissions, and task forces) or are created by Legislative Coordinating Council to review specified topics and legislation during the Interim.
2018 LEGISLATIVE BUDGET COMMITTEE
Sen. Carolyn McGinn, Chairperson
Sen. Rick Billinger
Sen. Anthony Hensley, Ranking Minority Member
Rep. Troy Waymaster, Vice-chairperson
Rep. Richard Proehl
Rep. Steven Johnson
Rep. Kathy Wolfe Moore
Kansas Legislative Research Dept.
Office of Revisor of Statutes
Nancy Fontaine, Committee Assistant
State Budget Issues
The Legislative Budget Committee is statutorily directed to:
- Compile fiscal information, study and make recommendations on the state budget, revenues, and expenditures, the organization and functions of the state, its departments, subdivisions, and agencies with a view of reducing the cost of state government and increasing efficiency and economy.
In addition to the statutory duties, the Budget Committee is to:
- Review purchasing procedures concerning the practice of no-bid contracts;
- Review how funding is being used to investigate children either with reports of
abuse or missing. Also review the process used to determine if a child is in danger;
- Review of tuition increases in the Regents institutions;
- Review causes of and increases in Kansas Corporation Commission
Conservation Fee Fund;
- Review the implementation of secure schools and how the $5 million
appropriation was used; and
- Receive updates on the State General Fund receipts and expenditures.
Approved Meeting Days: 6 days
Statutory Joint Committees
Other Task Forces, Commissions, Committees
2018 Interim Committees
Approved Days Listing
Interim Committee Membership