KLRD staff members coordinate and help plan interim committee meetings and certain commissions and task forces that meet throughout the year.
During the regular legislative session, standing committees are coordinated and planned by committee assistants, who should be contacted through the office of the standing committee's chairperson.
Standing Committees are established by statute or by House or Senate Leadership that meet during the regular legislative session.
Interim Committees are either established by statute and meet outside the regular legislative session (e.g. joint committees, oversight committees, commissions, and task forces) or are created by Legislative Coordinating Council to review specified topics and legislation during the Interim.
2019 LEGISLATIVE BUDGET COMMITTEE
Sen. Carolyn McGinn, Vice-chairperson
Sen. Rick Billinger
Sen. Tom Hawk
Rep. Troy Waymaster, Chairperson
Rep. Kathy Wolfe Moore, Ranking Minority Member
Rep. Will Carpenter
Rep. Kyle Hoffman
Kansas Legislative Research Dept.
Office of Revisor of Statutes
Kathy Holscher, Committee Assistant
State Budget Issues
The Legislative Budget Committee is statutorily directed to:
- Compile fiscal information, study and make recommendations on the state budget, revenues, and expenditures, the organization and functions of the state, its departments, subdivisions, and agencies with a view of reducing the cost of state government and increasing efficiency and economy.
In addition to its statutory duties, the Budget Committee is to:
- Transportation—Receive an update on T-WORKS projects and the use of the
additional funds provided in FY 2019 and FY 2020;
- Department for Children and Families—Review plans for the Family First
Prevention Services Act programs, receive an update on the progress on filling
the new approved social worker positions, and review the plan for expenditures
from the evidence-based initiative account (2017 SB 367) in coordination with the
Department of Corrections and other agencies;
- Corrections—Review the use and impact of additional funding for prisons;
- Regents—Review the impact of additional state funding and the need for tuition increases;
- Safe and secure schools—Review the distributions and use of the additional
funding by school districts;
- Agriculture—Review the implementation of new or expanded water programs
and an update on the impacts of flooding and federal tariffs;
- State hospitals—Review the ongoing mix of state and federal funding, future
plans for Osawatomie State Hospital, and plans to reduce vacant positions at Larned State Hospital; and
- Review and discuss community and technical colleges, including:
- How the institutions are funded and how the funding is distributed;
- Mission of the colleges;
- Transfer of credits to state universities;
- The efficiencies and effectiveness of the colleges; and
- Whether the colleges are meeting the needs of Kansas residents.
Approved Meeting Days: 7 days
Statutory Joint Committees
Other Task Forces, Commissions, Committees
2019 Approved Interim Committees
2019 Interim Committee Memberships
Preliminary Interim Committee Recommendations