What KLRD Can Provide
KLRD staff primarily focuses on the Department's core mission of providing nonpartisan, objective research and fiscal analysis for the Kansas Legislature and its members. We also provide information to the public, assisting with constituent requests and responding to direct inquiries from the public regarding current or historical legislation and the legislative process. Further, our staff can assist the public by:
- Helping to locate and use legislative resources;
- Suggesting other research resources for legislative topics; and
- Recommending other government agencies or sources for queries beyond the scope of our Department.
Because of the Department's purpose and limitations under Kansas law, the Department cannot provide the following to the public:
- Legal advice (including whether and how a particular statute may apply in a specific situation);
- Interpretation of a statute or the legislative intent behind a statute; or
- Extensive research assistance for a non-legislative purpose.
Many of the Department's publications and other resources are available on this website for easy access by the public. Additionally, please see the "Where to Find" section of this page for assistance in finding the most frequently requested legislature-related resources. If you do not find the answer to your question through these resources, please contact the Department at 785-296-3181 or firstname.lastname@example.org and our staff would be happy to assist you.