KLRD staff members coordinate and help plan interim committee meetings and certain commissions and task forces that meet throughout the year.
During the regular legislative session, standing committees are coordinated and planned by committee assistants, who should be contacted through the office of the standing committee's chairperson.
Standing Committees are established by statute or by House or Senate Leadership that meet during the regular legislative session.
Interim Committees are either established by statute and meet outside the regular legislative session (e.g. joint committees, oversight committees, commissions, and task forces) or are created by Legislative Coordinating Council to review specified topics and legislation during the Interim.
2018 STATEWIDE BROADBAND EXPANSION PLANNING TASK FORCE*
Sen. Rob Olson, Co-chairperson
Sen. Mike Petersen
Sen. Tom Hawk
Rep. Joe Seiwert, Co-chairperson
Rep. Randy Garber
Rep. Annie Kuether
Ex Officio Members
Kansas Legislative Research Dept.
Office of Revisor of Statutes
Senate Sub. for HB 2701 (2018) directs the Task Force to:
- Work collaboratively to develop an approach that includes, but is not limited to,
the development of criteria for the creation of a statewide map for defining and evaluating the broadband needs of
Kansas citizens, business, industries, institutions, and organizations;
- Identify and document risks, issues, and constraints associated with a statewide
broadband expansion project and to develop any corresponding risk mitigation strategies where appropriate;
- Consider any recent actions by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
relating to broadband services including, but not limited to:
- Consider any recent actions by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC)relating to broadband services including, but not limited to:
- The 2018 Broadband Deployment Report;
- Recommendations of the Broadband Deployment Advisory Committee; and
- Any actions to implement broadband initiatives using the Connect
America Fund Phase II, the Mobility Fund II, or the Remote Areas Fund;
- Identify opportunities and potential funding sources to:
- Expand broadband infrastructure and increase statewide access to broadband services;
- Remove barriers that may hinder deployment of broadband infrastructure or access to broadband services; and
- Consider options for the deployment of new advanced communication technologies;
- Develop criteria for prioritizing the expansion of broadband services across Kansas;
- Review current law and regulations concerning access to the public right-of-way
for public utilities and make corresponding recommendations for any changes necessary to encourage broadband
- Propose future activities and documentation required to complete the statewide
broadband expansion plan, including an upgradeable, functional map of the state of available broadband service, as
well as including which technologies should be deployed and the methods to finance broadband expansion.
Approved Meeting Days: days
* To date, no meeting dates have been authorized.
Statutory Joint Committees
Other Task Forces, Commissions, Committees
2018 Interim Committees
Approved Days Listing
Interim Committee Membership