KLRD staff members coordinate and help plan interim committee meetings and certain commissions and task forces that meet throughout the year.
During the regular legislative session, standing committees are coordinated and planned by committee assistants, who should be contacted through the office of the standing committee's chairperson.
Standing Committees are established by statute or by House or Senate Leadership that meet during the regular legislative session.
Interim Committees are either established by statute and meet outside the regular legislative session (e.g. joint committees, oversight committees, commissions, and task forces) or are created by Legislative Coordinating Council to review specified topics and legislation during the Interim.
2016 JOINT COMMITTEE ON
Agenda Minutes Report
Sen. Ralph Ostmeyer, Vice-chairperson
Sen. Elaine Bowers
Sen. David Haley
Sen. Forrest Knox
Sen. Pat Pettey
Rep. Les Osterman, Chairperson
Rep. Tom Burroughs
Rep. John Ewy
Rep. Charles Macheers
Rep. Ponka-We Victors
Kansas Legislative Research Department
Office of Revisor of Statutes
The purpose of the Joint Committee on State-Tribal Relations is to:
- Hold public meetings on proposed gaming compacts;
- Recommend modification of proposed gaming compacts submitted to the Joint Committee by the Governor;
- Introduce resolutions approving proposed gaming compacts and recommend that such resolutions be adopted or be not adopted, or report such resolutions without recommendation, and notify the Governor, in writing, of the Joint Committee’s action;
- Meet, discuss, hold hearings, and make recommendations on issues concerning state-tribal relations; and
- Introduce such legislation as deemed necessary in performing its functions.
The Joint Committee may also:
- Establish proposed guidelines that the Joint Committee will consider in reviewing proposed compacts;
- Recommend that any gaming compact provide for sales taxes and excise taxes on sales of non-gaming goods and services to persons other than tribal members; and
- Recommend that any gaming compact provide for state income tax on revenues derived from sales of non-gaming goods or services.
Approved Meeting Days:
Statutory Joint Committees
Other Task Forces, Commissions, Committees
2016 Interim Information
Approved Topics Memo
Approved Days Listing
Interim Committee Membership
Committee Reports to the 2017 Legislature
Committee Reports to the 2017 Legislature-Supplement